Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Day Two...

Day one of any build is usually pretty exciting...New people, new tasks, fresh muscles...then comes day two. For many of the team, the jetlag starts to kick in and you discover all kinds of sore muscles that you didn't even know you had....The good part is that you start to make bonds with the local people and realize that even without words, you can communicate with each other...Our construction supervisor, who I can Sep (boss in Vietnamese) even laughed at my jokes today...I think he's holding back on us on how much english he knows. Either that or he's just laughing at the silly Canadian girl trying to speak Vietnamese...(BTW Tamarra and Fatima, I can now count to ten in Vietnamese! Although I have somehow forgotten it in Arabic already...)

Today's work consisted of shoveling, moving dirt and rocks, mixing concrete….and pulling nails from old lumber….

Here's some Day Two pictures....


Our fearless co-leader...again...


I think she was the one who was suppose to keep Paul inline...or why else would he be out playing pool?


Next to one of the sites, they've been digging a six foot grave...supposedly for someone who hasn't even died yet...(we're hoping that they're not saving it for one of us??)






Sometimes it feels like we've gotten 30 years of hard labour....




Today we ended our day with what might seem like a simple task...but it turned out to be the most strenuous, exhausting thing....Using a hammer and crowbar to remove old nails from a pile of wood...





And the worst part is that we only got through about 10 boards so this is the pile that awaits us tomorrow...ugh...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enough with the hammock pictures, I really do work, I have blisters, cuts, back pain to prove it. I am not sure I am liking my fellow Candadian as much anymore.

Anonymous said...

Hey anonymous....back to work.. I hope you find the cold drinks I've left for you and your friends at the bar. enjoy :)